Does God Care About What You Do For Work?Sep 06, 2023
A day to honor and recognize the American labor movement and the works and contributions of laborers to the development and achievements of the United States...
So says Wikipedia anyways.
This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend the other day.
We were talking about a lot of things, like, work, kids and he paused and asked me, "Do you think God actually cares about what I do for work? Aren't we just supposed to be about saving souls or something like that?"
I loved his honesty because it does feel like that.
I sometimes think God looks at us like we look at ants.
I could care less which ant is doing what, I am actually annoyed their doing anything at all!
So, if God is that huge and we are that small...does he actually care what we do for work?
The week before I had this conversation, I had been working on a Holy Work YouVersion Devotional where I would walk through each step of the Holy Work Path in a daily devotional type of thing. (Hopefully that works out!) In research for that, I had been going through the scriptures and searching for all the different stories and verses that "Prove" God is pulling you towards creating something with Him.
So, when he asked that question, I pulled out my Evernote doc and read him a few of the scriptures I found:
- For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good WORKS, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10
- To one he gave five talents, to another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ABILITY; and he went on his journey. Matthew 25:15
- As each one has received a special gift, employ it in SERVING one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. 1 Peter 4:10
- Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own GIFT from God, one in this manner, and another in that. 1 Corinthians 7:7
- Having GIFTS that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness. Romans 12:6-8
- The Lord will fulfill his PURPOSE for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands. Psalm 138:8
And one last little bonus...If he cares about our hair, he must care about our work!
- But even the hairs of your head are all counted. Matthew 10:30
As I was reading them to him, I was realizing it for myself more than ever...
He really does care about the work we do and how we do it.
Over and over and over again, throughout the Old and New Testaments it shows.
He has given you a gift and he wants you to use it.
God really does care about our work and what we do.
He has given you a gift to steward for this time and he is slowly pulling you towards what he wants to create with you.
When you follow, that is not just work, that is Holy Work.